Skip to main content

The Ancient Egyptians & Israelites

Ethnic Makeup of the Ancient Egyptians, Israelites, and Hyksos Ethnic Makeup of the Ancient Egyptians, Israelites, and Hyksos A comparative look at the peoples of the Nile and the Levant in the New Kingdom period (18th–19th Dynasties). Ethnic Makeup of the Ancient Egyptians The Egyptians of the New Kingdom (ca. 1550–1189 BC) were primarily a Northeast African population rooted in the Nile Valley. Their features reflected a mixture of indigenous Saharan, Nubian, and Nile Delta ancestry. Genetic studies of royal mummies and skeletal remains reveal a population connected to both Sub-Saharan Africa and the ancient Near East, consistent with Egypt’s geographic position as a crossroads of Africa and Asia. Royal families often intermarried with foreign princesses to cement alliances. For example, Amenhotep III married women from Mitanni and later Ramesses II married Hittite royalty. This resulted in foreign admixture at the highest levels of society, though the g...

Having Trouble Reading Your Bible? You're Not Alone...

 Shalom, family. I want to address what I believe is probably the largest barrier for people engaging in the Word of God. Do you have trouble connecting with scripture? Does it feel like trying to read Shakespeare? Do you all of the sudden get tired as your eyes scroll down the page? 

You're not alone. Back when I was a teen this was my experience almost every time I opened the book. Even as an adult I still struggle at times with intentionally being *in* scripture. The truth is that the language of scripture is not easily understood to the modern reader. What I did not know is that this is an easily remedied issue. Whether you're on your kindle, iPhone or you desire a physical copy, there are translations that exist that make reading that word feel more natural for the 21st century Christian. Here are a few recommendations:

  • The New Living Translation. Example text: Genesis 1:14  Then God said, “Let lights appear in the sky to separate the day from the night. Let them be signs to mark the seasons, days, and years.

  • Bible in Basic English. Example text: Genesis 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the arch of heaven, for a division between the day and the night, and let them be for signs, and for marking the changes of the year, and for days and for years:

  • The Message (this Bible is paraphrased and a more controversial option, but may be a good starting point depending on the person's literacy). Example text: Genesis 1:14 God spoke: “Lights! Come out! Shine in Heaven’s sky! Separate Day from Night. Mark seasons and days and years, Lights in Heaven’s sky to give light to Earth.” And there it was.  

  • Easy English Bible. Example text: Genesis 1:14 God said, ‘There will be lights all across the sky.[c] They will make the day different from the night. They will show the seasons, days and years. 15 The lights in the sky will give light to the earth.’

These are a few recommendations. I don't want to assume where people are in their reading level so I want to include options the make God more accessible to people. I believe He will meet people where they are at and guide them if their heart is toward Him. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to comment. Now, a prayer: Dear heavenly Father, let us pray that this information reach those whose heart cry out for you that they may find your word accessible to them for the nurturing and cultivation of their faith. That you may make more disciples in Yeshua's name and your family continue to grow. In Yeshua HaMashiach's name we pray. Amen.

Click here to donate to our brothers and sisters in Christ who are the victims of violence and persecution: Donate Now  · Serving Persecuted Christians Worldwide

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fake News (It's Deeper Than Donald Trump)

Shalom, family. If there is one undeniable thing to credit to the current President of the United States it's his ability to make a headline, be it "good" or "bad". America is hypnotically polarized between idol gazing or hate watching his every move. He is never short of a quotable one-liner or catchphrase that becomes meme-worthy material.  One particular Trump-ism that seemed to stick in this cultural & political climate is "fake news." And while many of us use it ironically, I can't help but acknowledge the timing of this catchphrase as spiritually significant. A hallmark of the current age. What do I mean by that? Well, for you saints who are into eschatology (end-times prophecy) you are probably already aware of the discussions that are being held in practically every religious space at the moment about the last days. I would say with the quickening and escalation of world events and catastrophes that even the secular spaces have tapped i...

A dream for the record

 Shalom, family. Last night I had a dream. I don't try to make it a habit to share my dreams too often on this blog, but two words in that dream are why I write this today. I was in someone's backyard standing amidst a group of people. We were all standing and watching Barack Obama give a speech at a podium. Behind Barack to his right (our left) was a shed. Barack was speaking firmly and pointing to the shed. He was explaining how him and Michelle had to hide in that shed and live off rations of food that were in it. During this time of their seclusion in that shed was a storm and that is when I heard the words "God's judgement" in my mind.  Barack, wearing a suit at the time of the speech, then walked away from the podium to grab a pitcher of (don't laugh) Kool Aid. He specified that it was a two layered drink. The pitcher was filled halfway with red then with blue. As he came back with the pitcher he was wearing a white polo shirt. He stood by Michelle, and ...

American Christian Privilege and the Tribulation of the Saints

 Shalom, family. I want to take some time now to reflect on some harsh realities. Realities that should force us to think more deeply about our faith and pray more fervently. As much as I'm sure you probably aren't all too enthused about another article of bad news, let me tell you that very attitude within itself is a privilege to have.  Lately, I've been watching video coverage of heart wrenching persecution in countries like Syria and Congo. If you haven't been informed, there has been a massive uptick in Christian persecution in these places.  When I say persecution, I don't mean how many American pastors and citizens use the term. This is not about refusing to officiate gay weddings or not baking cakes for lesbians. I'm talking about what the Bible calls tribulation. Jesus states in Matthew 24:9 "They will deliver you up to tribulation and put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations for my name's sake." This is something that is bar...